The Sega Master System is a very affordable Console to get started with, due to its widespread availability. You'll often find them at Car Boot Sales and on Ebay from between £5 and £15 for a basic setup. I'd personally recommend buying a Master System 1 rather than a Master System 2 as the Master System 1 allows you to play the games that came on a card instead of on cartridge. Also, the console itself is aesthetically more appealing and also includes a pause button which was done away with on the remodelled Master System 2.
Recommended Master System Hardware
- The Master System itself
- A Power Supply
- An aerial lead
- Two pads, as there are plenty of excellent two-player games
- Optional extras to consider would be the Sega Light Phaser which supports a number of great games including Rambo III and Rescue Mission. Also, the 3D glasses are well worth getting if you can pick them up cheaply - a number of games support them, including Out Run 3D, Zaxxon 3D and Line of Fire.
Personal Game Recommendations
- RPG - Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap, Golvellius
- Sports - California Games, Golfamania
- Platform - Psycho Fox
- Shoot-em-up - Fantasy Zone I & II